-1 ½ cups granulated sugar
-1 ½ cups eggs whites
-2 tablespoons of corn starch in bottom of 1 cup measurer, with enough sifted flour to fill the measure
-½ teaspoon salt
-1 tablespoon flavoring, plus 1 tablespoon water mixed together
-1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1. Measure all ingredients and set aside, handy for mixing.
2. Sift sugar to be sure there are no lumps.
3. Put ½ cup of the sugar with cornstarch-flour mixture and sift 3 times, ready for the mix.
4. Beat egg whites by hand
and salt, until mix is sudsy.
5. Add cream of tartar.
6. Beat until it stands in peaks and the mixture cannot slide to one side when the mixing bowl is tilted.
7. Whip in the 1 cup of sugar, adding it gradually.
8. Add flavoring and water.
9. Fold the flour and sugar mixture in gradually.
10. Lastly, add one tablespoon of cold water, then place mix in ungreased pan.
11. Preheat oven at 425 degrees.
12. Put cake in oven and immediately turn regulator back to 300 degrees. Bake 55 minutes, then remove from the oven and invert pan for cooling.